Tuesday 18 June 2013

Vegetables: The freshest you can find





After visiting many wonderful gardens at my local town's "garden safari" this weekend, I noticed that many gardeners were growing their own fruit and vegetables. We already have a small vegetable plot in the garden, where we are growing blackcurrants, onions and raspberries, but I liked the idea of tending to vegetables of my own which can later be used in the kitchen.

I bought quite a selection of plants from the garden centre, including a strawberry plant, two chilli pepper plants, basil, oregano, chives, peas, cress seeds and nasturtium seeds. I planted them up today, along with some tomato plants and purple french running beans for my mum's "veggie" area of the garden. I now have my own trough filled with fruits, vegetables and herbs, and a plate of cress  growing in the kitchen.

I am looking forward to watching my vegetable patch grow, especially because I know that they will end up on my plate. There is nothing, I would imagine, more satisfying than caring for a plant, watching it grow and then enjoying the crop in a delicious meal. I am quite proud of my little patch, because this is the first thing I have ever planted (I'm only a teen, so the garden is always taken care of by my mum). I am hoping to water the plants every day, but whether or not that will happen, I don't know.

Growing your own produce is something that I would thoroughly recommend  Even though I have only started gardening today and am a novice, it has still been a very enjoyable experience and I cannot wait to watch my crops grow into vibrant fruits for me to use in the kitchen!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment