Tuesday 14 May 2013

The Beavertail

The Beavertail. An interesting Canadian delicacy that I found out about 3 years ago. When I was first told about the Beavertail, I believed, as the name would suggest, an actual Beavertail. Although rather alarmed by this, I didn't question it. That was a bad mistake. To my embarrassment, I later found out that it was, in fact, a doughnut-like pastry in the shape of a beaver's tail. The worst part being that I had told all my friends it was an actual beaver's tail. Then again, can you blame me? How was I to know any different?

I was rather relieved that it wasn't a real beaver that I would be eating, and was eager to try one of these famous pastries. The selection of toppings for the Beavertail were vast, varying from maple to chocolate with Reese's Pieces. I had a cinnamon sugar Beavertail, which I enjoyed very much. It was crunchy in the centre and soft on the outside, and the cinnamon worked really well. I ended up with sugar all over my hands and face, but it was certainly worth it. We have returned every year since our first trip to Canada, and always have to get a Beavertail (or 5) at some point in the holiday.

However, I was told that once upon a time, the chain served savoury Beavertails as well as the traditional sweet. It's a shame that there weren't any at the store, and by looking at their menu, I don't think that they serve them at all, which is a shame, because I would love to try the legend that is the savoury Beavertail. My parents went to Canada when they served them and they had salmon and cream cheese on theirs. I bet that there would be some pretty tasty combinations you could try. I am generally more of a savoury person, so that sounds like my sort of thing. Come on Beavertails. Bring 'em back!

J



No comments:

Post a Comment